Thursday , 24 August 2017
AP Photo/ Halit Onur Sanda

Turkey Grants Arrest Warrants for 243 Military Personnel in Post-Coup Purge

A prosecutor in Istanbul issued arrest warrants Wednesday for 243 military service members suspected of links to a network blamed for last year’s coup attempt, local media reported.

Judicial sources told the state-run news agency Anadolu they were accused of using an encrypted phone messaging app to coordinate last July’s failed attempt to depose the Turkish president.

The Turkish government accuses US-based cleric Fetullah Gulen of running a terrorist group, FETO, to orchestrate the power grab. It has laid off, suspended or arrested thousands of people from all walks of life on claims they had ties with the organization. FETO members allegedly communicated via an app called ByLock. The Daily Sabah newspaper said Turkish security services hacked the messenger last year, exposing a network of some 10,000 organization members.

Sputnik

Check Also

SYRIAN ARMY 500M AWAY FROM BREAKING ISIS SIEGE ON DEIR EZ-ZOR AIRBASE

The Syrian army and its allies are just 500 meters away from Harabash district near …

How to change the mind of a Serbian nationalist – The case of UAE-backed Aleksandar Vučić

SNS and the Serbian Government didn’t hire Bell Pottinger by accident. The lobbying contract was …

Iranian Ballistic Missile Test is a ‘Gift for Anti-Iranian Propaganda’

While Iran did not violate the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA) with its recent …

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *